When I wrote my book Tweeting For A Reason: How (and why) to use Twitter to Market Your Business I included a whole chapter on what I called ‘my secret weapon’ for getting more ReTweets. It’s no longer a secret, because a LOT of industry leaders and niche influencers are using it.
A lot of new bloggers aren’t, however. And they probably should be. So I’ve shared the details here, along with screen shots to help you get set up quickly. This is a FREE service. There is a paid option you can upgrade to later if you absolutely love it OR if you want to really go to town and promote something heavily. But it’s free to get started and you need never pay a cent if you’re happy with the free version (I am!). So here’s what you need to know.
Just Retweet is a social sharing platform dedicated to helping you get more Retweets, +1 shares on Google+ and Facebook Likes . It’s NOT some automated system that automatically gets you a ton of extra exposure. You WILL have to put some time into it, but I put in ten to fifteen minutes a day, a few days a week, and see real results.
Just Retweet has some strict rules:
- No auto-Tweets
- No auto-follows
- No spam
It’s a fast way to boost your “social proof” and get new eyes on your blog or website. What’s more, Just Retweet suggests that “active users of the site will automatically gain more followers”. That has definitely been my experience.
JustRetweet has its own requirements and rules, but they’re pretty simple:
- It works on a “credit” system. You start out with 100 credits and earn more by Retweeting other JustRetweet member messages
- Only posts containing URLS can be Retweeted
- You cannot request Retweets for “sales pages, direct affiliate links, squeeze pages, homepage links, and other overly promotional or low quality content” (they’ll be deleted)
- You are allowed to submit a maximum of three Tweets in twenty-four hours. You can use multiple Twitter accounts – but you cannot post Tweets to the same URL from your other account. (Think of it as one URL per twenty-four hours)
Happy with these rules? Right. Let’s begin.
There are three easy steps you’ll need to take, to get up and racing out of the starting gate:
- Sign up
- Post your Tweets
- Acquire more followers
Let’s talk you through it.
Step One: Signing Up and Signing In
JustRetweet is based on a “credit” system – but these are not paid credits.
First, you have to log in using your Twitter account from JustRetweet’s home page. Press “Sign in with Twitter” button in the top right corner. (Don’t worry: JustRetweet won’t be able to see your password.)
Enter your Twitter name and password.
You will be directed to a “Welcome” page, where you can create your account by entering your email address.
You’ll be immediately redirected to your Dashboard, where you can see different sections accessible by tab.
Twitter Followers – Here’s where you can find Featured Members, as well as other types of Twitter Followers:
- Top Submitters
- Top Influencers
- Top Promoters
Note that, using a drop-down menu, you can filter these Submitter types by time frame (E.g.: “Last 7 Days”.)
Begin selecting a few members to follow straight away, so you’ll have someone to Retweet your posts – starting with JustRetweet itself.
Activity Summary – This is going to be a tab you’ll use a lot, once you’ve got a bunch of Tweets posted via JustRetweet. You can filter the results by day and activity type:
You won’t have any activity to filter or look through, so go ahead and submit a Tweet.
You already have 100 credits. You can get more by retweeting others content, or by buying credits. If you share a lot of content from the site, you’ll NEVER need to buy credits. If you decide you want to promote something heavily, you always have that option. For now, use your free credits.
Settings – This is an extremely important section. Here’s where you set up your blog URL and specify other things you want to add to your profile, or change within your JustRetweet account.
Fill in your email address, and use the drop-down arrows to select your country and the interval at which you’d like your Tweets to be Retweeted.
Leave “Credits Per Follow” at the default “2” for now, until you start getting a feel for what works and what doesn’t.
Fill in your website Title, URL and a brief description containing your keywords.
Step Three: Write Your First Tweet
Now you’re ready to start submitting Tweets with URLS you want shared – and Retweeting other peoples’.
- Get started by pressing the “submit a tweet” link. (Note that your 100 free credits shows up here.)
- Go to your Activity Summary Tab. Write a Tweet that (a) you’d really love people to share (b) includes your URL. Be sure to check the boxes for social networks you’d like to allow access via JustRetweet. (Twitter will already be pre-selected.)Note also that your submitted tweet “will be moderated before going live on site”, so you will have to wait a while to see what your new Tweet shared via JustRetweet looks like.
Step Four: Retweet Other Members’ Tweets
And here’s the really important part – share other members’ Tweets.
- Go to your Dashboard Tab and scroll down. You’ll see a tasty selection of Tweets you can choose from.
- Find optimized Tweets using the drop-down categories and keywords; or enter your own unique search
- Weight your Retweeting decisions based on the number of credits being offered for a Retweet. (But don’t worry too much about this. Sharing quality content that your audience will love is more important than how many credits you’re earning.)
When you are ready, simply click on “Schedule Retweet” and JustRetweet will take care of this automatically, based on the criteria given by the Tweeter in his or her Settings.
You can also choose to “Like” the Tweet you’ve selected on Facebook, as well as pressing the “+1” button for Google Plus.
That’s it. You’re done. Remember to check in regularly to share great content you find, and submit every new blog post you write. Oh and follow these tips for optimum success.
Ten Tips for Just Retweet Success
- Choose your Retweets carefully. Check every link to make sure you really want to share this. Use aids such as keywords, categories and custom search parameters to make sure each Retweet you schedule is well-suited to your own audience. Only ReTweet quality content.
- Make sure you share your highest-quality content. If you want others – especially other influencers in your niche – to Retweet you, make sure you’ve got something worth Retweeting. This is your fastest way to becoming one of the top influencers yourself – delighting not only your own audience, but that of people who Retweet your content.
- Don’t Retweet suspected spammers. IF a spammer gets through, they’ll be weeded out pretty quickly. In the meantime don’t be tricked into sharing their content.
- Use hashtags. Vary your own Tweets by using relevant hashtags .
- Tweet others. That’s obvious, of course – but sometimes it’s easy to get carried away and neglect this vital part of using JustRetweet. If you share regularly you may never run out of credits.
- Study the list of posts in your Dashboard. You can get a feel for:
- What appeals to you
- What repels you
- How many credits people offer on average.
- Types of posts to Retweet
- Types of posts that are missing – ones that you would like to Retweet. (Then go write them!)
- Consider paid options. This is not necessarily a recommendation: Some people find purchasing options fast-tracks them; others set great value by building relationships naturally. But do be aware the option is always there.
- Consider becoming an affiliate. if affiliate marketing is part of your business model, you can sign up for the affiliate program (I’m a member. If you sign up through my link and later upgrade to the paid platform I’ll get a small commission. Remember you DON’T have to do that. The free version will help get you started and you need only upgrade if you LOVE the platform and can see clear benefits to signing up for the premium service.)
- Follow JustRetweet Members, as well as Retweeting their Tweets. There are credit rewards to do so and you can keep an eye on your favorite Tweets from these particular bloggers.
- Remember everyone on here is a real person. And some of them are real influencers in their niche. It’s actually a great place to find people in your niche to follow and you can ReTweet them (earning credits as you do) which will get their attention if you want to work with them in the future!
Need the link one more time? It’s here: Just ReTweet
Need more information on using Twitter? You might want to check out Tweeting For a Reason.